If you love traveling but have trouble walking or standing for long periods, then a mobility scooter might be the only solution. But when it comes to getting onto a plane, you might wonder which is the best mobility scooter for air travel.
With a plethora of scooters available online, finding the best handicap device to take on planes could be a taxing task. Since we understand the hassle of searching the best motor, we decided to create this article over the ideal mobility scooters to bring to the plane.
|Model||Weight Capacity||Travel Range||Rating|
|Transformer Automatic Folding Travel Scooter||300 lbs.||13.7mi||3.7 stars out of 5|
|GLION SNAPnGO Travel Mobility Scooter||300 lbs.||15 mi||4.9 stars out of 5|
|Pride Go-Go 4-Wheel ULTRA X SC44X Electric Travel Scooter||260 lbs.||7.2 mi||5.0 stars out of 5|
|Shoprider Echo 3 Wheel Scooter||250 lbs.||8 mi||4.0 stars out of 5|
|Drive Medical Scout Compact 3-Wheel Power Travel Scooter||300 lbs.||9 mi||4.5 stars out of 5|
|TravelScoot Lightweight Ultra-Portable Airline-Approved 34 lbs Travel Electric Mobility Scooter||340 lbs.||12 mi||5.0 stars out of 5|
|Easy Travel Elite Lightweight Folding Travel Electric Mobility Scooter||250 lbs.||3.5 stars out of 5|
- Top 7 Mobility Scooters for Air Travel
- 1. Transformer Automatic Folding Travel Scooter
- 3. Pride Go-Go 4-Wheel ULTRA X SC44X Electric Travel Scooter
- 4. Shoprider Echo 3 Wheel Scooter
- 5. Drive Medical Scout Compact 3-Wheel Power Travel Scooter
- 6. TravelScoot Lightweight Ultra-Portable Airline-Approved 34 lbs Travel Electric Mobility Scooter
- 7. Easy Travel Elite Lightweight Folding Travel Electric Mobility Scooter
- Tips for Travelling with a Mobility Scooter by Air
Top 7 Mobility Scooters for Air Travel
Transformer Travel scooter is a classic device by Solax that guarantees you a safe ride.
The scooter is ergonomically designed to have an automatic folding nature. It comes with a remote control that folds and unfolds the device in seconds.
With a top speed of 3.75 and a weight capacity of 300 lbs, the unit is ultra-portable.
The lightweight lithium battery is airline approved and can offer up to 13.7 miles per single charge. The Transformer Scooter folds into a compact size that can easily fit in a laundry room or a closet.
- It comes with a lightweight lithium battery that is airline approved
- The unit effortlessly folds to a compact size to fit in a small space
- Innovative design
- It has reverse
- Easy to use
- The seat is not adjustable
- Highly Priced
- Too short between handlebars and seat
GLION delivers a long overdue combination of comfort, portability, and mobility. It makes riding to be a fun event. A lightweight lithium-ion battery powers it. The hand controls are convenient, water resistant, and easy to use.
The unit is also easy to use and highly maneuverable. It comes with an electronic motor brake that will help you have a smooth and precise control. The GLION scooter is built to last.
The frame is crafted from an aircraft-grade aluminum 6061-T6 which is also coated to resist corrosion. The powerful lithium-ion battery weighs 4 lbs, and it will take care of you.
- The unit is built to last
- Light and portable making it easy to store
- The seat is safe and comfortable
- Easy to use
- Reasonably priced
- The travel seat is sold as an accessory
- It doesn’t come with a storage bag
- The unit doesn’t do well on grass
The Pride Go-Go is a classic mobility scooter that strikes a balance between quality and affordability. It’s a lightweight and portable unit that disassembles in seconds.
The device is touted as one of the most portable, lightweight scooters with the heaviest piece weighing only 34 lbs.
With a weight capacity of 260 lbs., 7.2-mile battery range, and 4 mph top speed, the scooter is suitable for daily errands, traveling and shopping. It comes with a user-friendly control panel that is comfortable and easy to use. The 4-wheel features provide you with the necessary stability.
- Suitable for everyday use
- It as a user-friendly control panel
- It navigates easily through the cruise ship, narrow hallways, and shopping aisles
- Disassembles in seconds
- Lightweight and portable
- The seat does not adjust
- It lacks shock absorber suspension
- 260 lbs weight capacity limit most of the seniors who weighs more than that
When it comes to choosing the best mobility scooter for air travel, you need to pick a device that is lightweight and easy to disassemble.
Shoprider Scooter is designed to make your travel with a plane easy and comfortable. It is made of lightweight material for the user on the go.
This is great especially for seniors who won’t have a hard time lifting the scooter. It disassembles into three light and portable pieces. It’s also fitted with a height adjustable seat to accommodate people of different heights and sizes.
The Shoprider Echo comes with solid tires, a quick connect battery back, and a back for storing personal stuff.
- Height adjustable seat
- Lightweight frame
- It disassembles into three light pieces
- Removable battery for charging
- It might not last you for long
- It’s not a folding scooter
- The scooter is small
This compact lightweight scooter is ideal for air travel. Thanks to its ergonomic design that makes it easy and quick to disassemble.
The armrest is adjustable and padded to give you more comfort. The height adjustable swivel seat makes the scooter suitable for people of various heights. The unit is fitted with a large, plastic carry basket for storing personal items. anti-tips, non-marking, flat-free tires guarantee you a smooth ride.
- Padded and adjustable armrests
- Height-adjustable swivel seat
- Quick and easy to disassemble
- Ergonomic throttle control
- Easy freewheel operation
- The device constantly makes a beeping noise
- It’s difficult to turn
- It might not last for long
The travel scooter is designed for seniors who have difficulty walking due to fatigue. It means it’s not a device for fully disabled individuals. The unit is famous for fitting into any car due to its portable, compact nature.
The package comes with a canvas basket, toolkit, battery charger, manual bell, and many more. All of these items come in a stylish duffel storage bag. The scooter is equipped with two effective mechanical band brakes for a smooth ride and easy control. The 274Wh lithium-ion battery is designed specifically for air travel.
- Built to last
- Comes with a 2-year manufacturer warranty
- Mechanical band brakes for safe and smooth control
- Comes with a storage bag
- Lightweight and portable
- Acceleration is jittery
- Might be uncomfortable of larger or taller individuals
The Easy Travel scooter is the only device designed to utilize in-Wheel-Motor design technology. The design does not only make steering easy and smooth but also saves on space.
The devices receive high scores in performance, portability, and design.
The Easy Travel Elite is foldable into a compact piece of luggage for easy transportation by vehicle or by air. The scooter is engineered to enhance your quality of life by allowing you to travel wherever and whenever you want.
- The unit is transported easily by train, car, plane, or taxi effortlessly
- It gives you 45-degree inclination stability
- Easily removable SLA battery pack
- The heaviest part is 27 lbs
- The battery has a short lifespan
- It might not be ideal for outdoor activities
- Some users claim the scooter might feel heavy for seniors
Tips for Travelling with a Mobility Scooter by Air
A good mobility scooter can be a lifesaver for seniors who love traveling. It makes your journey more convenient, more fun, and less expensive. Check out the following tips to help you take your best mobility scooter for air travel along the next flight.
Learn Before You Roll– Ensure you check your airline’s website. Get to the disabilities section and get information and requirement for taking a scooter on board. Check if you’re required to fill out any form. Get the mobility scooter’s specs like weight, type, measurements, battery, and many more.
The Battery is a Big Deal– Lithium-ion and dry cell batteries can remain with the scooter. This is because they don’t pose any dangers. However, wet cell batteries may need to get checked. Therefore, check the battery type of your scooter before you board an airplane. One more important thing, ensure the battery is fully charged. Carry the battery charger for emergency charging.
Ensure Your Device is Foldable– Boarding an airline means you will get limited space to store your mobility scooter. You need to buy a compact and foldable unit to ensure it fits on the provided space. It should also be lightweight to ensure you or your seniors can handle it effortlessly.
Take a Photo of Your Scooter– Take a selfie of your mobility scooter before you check in. It will give you the general condition of the device. Are the brakes in the right conditions? Are there any scratches? The photo will help you file a damage claim with the airline in case of any hitches.
Now that you have a list of models you can take on an airplane, are you ready to choose the best mobility scooter for air travel? Any of the model listed above will give you satisfaction and make your flight fun and inexpensive. Happy shopping!